When it comes to using literary theory to analyze texts, I have
favored the Marxist perspective since being introduced to in university English
classes. Chapter 4 of Deborah Appleman’s book Critical Encounters talks about bringing the Marxist perspective
into a high school classroom. I liked this idea as I feel we can learn most
about our own lives expressed in literature by reading with a Marxist lens. I
believe the Marxist lens allows us to move beyond the text, and study the wider
implications literature has in society.
In regards to the Marxist theory, literature has moved to
give voice to a wider range of people. Included in this are voices of lower
class people, speaking out against the various forms of oppression in their
lives. There was once a time when literature was a device of the upper class.
The Marxist theory can also be used to show the class structures in these older
texts. I feel it is valuable to show high school students these varying class
perspectives as they are represented in literature. Our society today is very
much stratified and this is often represented in the literature we study.
Using Marxist literary theory allows us to move beyond the
plot of a story and begin to see the author’s message in a wider context. As teachers, this approach can help our
students gain a deeper understanding of the texts the encounter. They will gain
the ability to see beyond the characters and the plot and will be able to see
the themes reflected in other places. I firmly believe that the stories we read
and write are a reflection of our society.
Important social
issues are often raised through literature as the mode of communication allows
people who have been silenced a chance to speak. In particular I think of the
relatively recent emergence of strong works of Aboriginal literature. This
perspective was once rare in Canadian literature, but now we are able to use
the Marxist lens to understand the challenges and oppression this marginalized
group has faced. It is really cool because we can understand so much about
these social issues from reading their stories.
I would also like to point out that there are numerous
opportunities to achieve outcomes within the Saskatchewan Curriculum documents by
using the Marxists literary theory.
No comments:
Post a Comment