Today I came to the realization that becoming a teacher will
be a lifelong journey. To say that anyone can master the art of teaching would
be naive. We will always be presented with different situations that we will
have to adapt to. I have come to realize that one of the best skills we can
develop as teachers will be the ability to read our school environment and the
students in our class. We will have to be able to cater our class to meet the
needs of our students. Easier said than done. Take for example this
conversation I had with a few students.
Last week I had been helping one of my history classes with
a French Revolution simulation assignment. The class was divided up into the 3
estates and were to come up with a list of complaints for King Louis. The idea
behind the assignment is that the students will realize that on all issues the
3rd estate is out voted by the other two, and they will have
uncovered the beginning causes of the French Revolution. When asking students
how the simulation went, they responded with comments of dissatisfaction. They
told me in a history class they like when the teacher talks and they take
notes. This caught me by surprise as I thought students hated lectures and
notes.
Upon further reflection I realized that to meet the needs of
all students we need to gauge the learning styles of our classes. But at the
same time, we may have many different learning styles in one classroom. We will
have to use a variety of techniques in order to ensure our students meet the
learning outcomes and reach their full potential. We need to create an
inclusive school environment and this includes including everyone’s learning
preference. It is possible that there
are some students in the class who learn better through simulation activities.
When it comes time to design lesson plans and activities, I will have to take
into account all of the different learning styles of the class. For as long as I
am teaching, I will always have to come up with new approaches to teaching
similar lessons. We have to be active in our reflection throughout our teaching
career. Our teaching will always be evolving.
In the instances of teaching I have had over this past semester I can definitely say I am beginning to understand how difficult it can be to accommodate multiple learning styles. Even though it crossed my mind that the students who just wanted to take notes were maybe just a bit lazy, I also acknowledge that the activities we do in class may sometimes leave the students feeling like they didn't get all the information. I guess it comes down to finding a balance. Easier said than done?
ReplyDelete