Friday, 8 February 2013

I think, therefore I am...




This adaptation of the famous Descartes perfectly describes the power of thought in our society today. I believe that although our individual knowledge and ideas are influenced by society, our thoughts also have the power to inspire social change. In this sense, new ideas and voices of minoritized groups are a threat to the status-quo. An individual with the freedom of thought is a danger to the dominant groups in society. If we are going to create a more just and equitable society, we need to encourage and accept the ideas of minoritized groups. For example, by not considering the feminist perspective in epistemology, we discredit the sex of the knower as important and thus silence their voice and ideas. In our construction of what is knowledge, we only get the perspective of males. Feminism does more than just advocate for the voice of women in society; it gives voice to all other groups not represented.

As a teacher, one of the most valuable skills I can develop in students is the ability to think critically. I will encourage my students to think outside the box and challenge ideas that are considered to be truths. To do this, I will bring in numerous perspectives and ideas about any topic we study in class. I believe that by giving voice in the classroom to different groups, I am creating an environment that encourages free thought. I want to arm students and citizens with the most powerful weapon to challenge inequality in our society; thought.

 In closing I would like to share a quotation I saw from a recent teacher protest against standardized testing in Seattle. “Teacher our children to think outside the box, not fill in a circle”    

1 comment:

  1. I saw that poster as well and thought it was quite appropriate. The ability to listen to multiple perspectives and then make informed decisions is key. Limiting the knowers we listen to is also a danger.

    ReplyDelete