The articles I read for this past week’s class has
taught me an important lesson. As a teacher, I cannot make judgements about
students based on their ability to speak Standard English. Now, I have to admit
that before learning more about different forms of English, I was guilty of
placing a judgement about intellectual ability on a person based on their level
of Standard English. From this I can see how I have been socialized into acquainting
intelligence with Standard English. After this week’s class I feel a sense of
liberation from an unjust belief I used to hold. I have a great example from
another part of my life that I believe illustrates that Standard English has no
bearing on intelligence.
With my part time job in a lumber yard, I have had
lots of interaction with people who speak slightly different than I. The
majority of the customers I interact with are working class people who did not
attend University after high school. Although many of these people do not use
Standard English as their daily communication language, they are very much intelligent
people. For example, their ability to problem solve and create in the construction
industry far exceeds what a person “without intelligence” could do. As they
excel in the trades, they make me, a university educated person feel inferior
due to the knowledge they bring to our conversations. Although I am able to
articulate better in Standard English, this skill does not have relevance in a
lumber yard. In fact, when I go to work, I notice myself speaking differently
than I do at school or at home. Subconsciously I do not want to sound like I don’t
know what I am talking about when I speak with contractors so I subconsciously
begin to emulate their way of speaking.
From this example within my own life, I can see how
a person’s level of Standard of English is not a reflection of their intelligence.
It is our society that has placed a higher value one on form of English over
another. I believe my example illustrates that class issues also have an impact
on how we value language use. As a teacher, by recognizing the association between
social stratification and language, I believe I am helping to eliminate
inequality in education.
The class issues on language are very pronounced in countries like England. Less so in Canada, but still there. judgements made about an individual's intelligence are often tied to their language and limitations are placed on them because of it.
ReplyDelete