October 2- Today I had my first experience in a high
school English class as an observer. I was observing an advanced ELA 20 course
at Walter Murray Collegiate. During my observation, I was looking for the
strategies I read about in the first week’s readings from EDUC 498. In today’s
ELA 20 class, the class read the poem “Children” by Kahlil Gibran. To introduce
the poem, the teacher utilized the strategy suggested by the author of Deeper Meaning. The poem was presented
to the class on an overhead, and the class was asked to read it once by themselves.
When everyone had finished the poem, the teacher read the poem to the class. Deeper Meaning recommends that material
should be read twice, for the students to first uncover the main points, and
secondly begin to uncover the literary devices. The ELA 20 class had no issue
uncovering the purpose of the poem beyond the basic text. As the teacher led
the class through the poem line by line, I was amazed at the complex
understanding the class had of the poet’s message. I’m sure part of the reason
this class could grasp the intricate points of the poem was because it was an
advanced level course. I would also like to think that with proper study and
techniques, all students can read a poem and other literature the way in which
the ELA 20 class I observed today did.
Another
successful strategy the teacher used that I noticed from Deeper Reading was relating the poem to the lives of the students.
The poem was about the role of the parents in the guiding of their children.
The poet argues that the parents are simply supposed to provide for the kids,
but not force their beliefs and knowledge upon them. The poet argues to allow the
next generation to decide how they wish to shape the future. The teacher used
this argument to ask the class how they view the direction of their generation.
An interesting class discussion was the result of this point raised within the
poem. An effective strategy the teacher used to facilitate this discussion was
to raise, and be able to argue for both sides. The students were forced to
develop sound arguments in order to disprove the argument of the teacher. While
they were forming their arguments, they were also uncovering how they view their
role in society.
I think without the readings for EDUC 498, I
wouldn’t have noticed the strategies teachers can use to engage their class. I
think a successful ELA lesson gets the students to think beyond the plot and
uncover the message within the text. There are numerous social messages present
in any work of literature, and a class should focus on examining these aspects.
Brandon, i really agree (and relate - haha) to your last paragraph. If I had not been exposed to Gallagher's text, I would have struggled with understanding the concept of "framing the text" and even "guiding the learning along with reading the text". It all seems so clear after having it all spelled out in a neat couple of chapters. There are so many useful strategies out there, including for sure the poem idea, and teachers could definiately utilize these ideas to promote learning in such a "boring" topic as ELA for students. Especially since we were all ELA students ourselves, so we should have a tiny bit of an idea of what may and may not work to engage learners!!
ReplyDeleteI love that you are getting to actually witness the teaching methods suggested in Gallagher's text! I've also seen Gallagher's ideas used in class with a great amount of success. This makes me hopeful for the fact that Education is actually preparing us for the real world of teaching. This class in my opinion if the answer to the question "when will I ever use this in the real world" because with our teaching experiences we are actually getting to see how our ideas will be used in class and their successes. Since you've seen Gallagher's ideas used in reality, would you choose to use them when teaching?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feed back! Alex, I will try to incorporate Gallaher's ideas. For me, his approach to an English class just makes sense and seems to be a proven way of getting students to read texts with a better understanding.
ReplyDelete